Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Warm-Up 1

Warm-Up 1 isn't due for a while … but I know that some of you will be raring to go, so I'm posting the information today.

All the warm-ups are intended as practices for the following Send-In Task or In-Tray exam, and the idea is to get some specific feedback yourself about your performance in that area of the course, and to gain from the accumulated knowledge of everyone else in the class.

I'll thus be sending you a piece of detailed, private feedback, together with a mark out of 5, to your e-mail address, and making some general comments about things people did well, or should have avoided, as soon as most of the Warm-Ups are in. The aim is that you should receive the feedback before you write the Send-In Task.

Warm-ups are posted on the Course Blog - Send-In Tasks are sent to your Internet Tutor

Hope that's clear!

------

With any Warm-Up Task, read the instructions carefully. Here they are for Warm-Up 1:

Write the text of the letter you'd write to apply for this job. In other words, you don't need to include addresses or your actual resumé, but do include the salutation and the closure.

Just give us your ideas: which of your personal qualities and experiences would you mention to attract Hollywood Megastars and get you on your way to Hollywood?

(If you want to find out what a salutation and a closure are, check out the Course Meeting page in Module 1.)

So … what you have to post on this blog is the 'middle' of a letter, probably starting "Dear …" and finishing with your name. It's only a short letter, so you have to make an impact rightaway - impress the woman, and she might call you for interview.

Remember that it doesn't have to be true! We don't know what you look like, so if you want to tell her that you won a gold medal for Sweden at the recent European Athletics Championships, that's OK. You'll be getting marks for language, for the selection of information and for the way you present it (e.g. in which order of importance you present it).

My advice is to write it in Word first, and then paste the text into the text box … which you will see when you click on the Comment link just under this blog posting.

Don't forget to write your name on your posting - you might know who 'Nettan' is, but I don't!

Have fun with Warm-Up 1.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Richardson said...

Dear Mr Soderblom,

My name is Jonna Eriksson and I am writing to you to express my interest in the work as a Personal Assistant for a person at Hollywood Megastars.
I am a Swedish girl in my early thirties who have been spending the last ten years travelling around the world, because of that I have no attachments but can work wherever my employee wants me to work. I do think I possess several qualities that you will find suitable for the job.

Firstly, I spend most of my spare time teaching self defence and I possess several awards for my self defence skills. Because of this my employee will be able to use me not only as a Personal Assistant but also as a body guard.
Secondly, I am very interested in languages and speak seven of the world’s largest languages fluent. This means my employee will not have to hire an interpreter when he or she visits another country, instead I can do the interpretation.
Thirdly, I am in no need of vacations or days off since I am convinced that the more I work in this life the more spare time I will be able to have in my next. In other words, my services will always be available.
As if this were not enough, I am a trained stylist with a great sense of fashion and I am able to give the most relaxing body massages with a technique I learned from the Mongolian monks when I travelled around Asia. They also taught me their secrets of keeping their skin unbelievably young and making their hair look incredibly shining. I would love to share these secrets with my employee, but of course not with his or her competitors.
Finally, I am a qualified therapist and a great listener who could be there for my employee whenever he or she wants me to be.

I hope you have found me interesting for the work as a Personal Assistant since it is something I have always dreamt of working with. I hope I will hear from you soon!

Best Regards,

Jonna Eriksson

4:53 AM  
Blogger David Richardson said...

2837 NE 30th
Portland, OR, 97 202
USA

12th September, 2006

Mrs Britt-Inge Soderblom
Hollywood Megastars
1112-1116 E. Del Rey Avenue
Beverly Hills
Ca 90210, USA

Dear Mrs Soderblom,

Personal Assistant, Hollywood Megastars
My name is Jolina Habercam, and I intend to applay for the position advertised in the Oregonian, October 22nd. I am twenty-six years old, and graduated from UCSD in 2004 with a degree in Business Administrations. During my college time in California, I worked extra during weekends and holidays for the Star Nannys. I babysat for e.g Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts and Kate Hudson.

At the moment, I am working as the store manager at a down town Portland store for the clothing company Abercrombie and Fitch. After I graduated college I went back to Portland where I grew up.
I am singel and live alone, which makes me flexible and available at any time.

I like varying work and new challanges, which is why I am applying for this job. I enjoy working with people and I do not mind irregular working hours. My CV is enclosed, and if you feel that you would like to discuss the possibilities in person, I could be available for an interview at short notice.

Thanking you for your consideration,

Yours sincerely,

Jolina Habercam

Jolina Habercam
E-mail: jolina.habercam@hotmail.com
Telephone: 503 788 71 56

Enc. Curriculum Vitae

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home